The prostate gland, found only in men, is a small organ located below the bladder. The urethra or the genital duct that carries semen and urine out of the body passes right through it. The prostate undergoes a major growth spurt in adolescence, when it doubles in size. But this gland can undergo a second growth spurt in some men, usually after the age of 50. This growth in its size can lead to trouble with urinary flow. Your diet is the most influential factor when it comes to promoting a healthy prostate. Know what all you should (and should not) eat to protect your little gland.
The Prostate-friendly Diet
- Vegetables and fruits are full of antioxidants and other phytochemicals that fight cell damage and assist in cell repair. Cranberries, pomegranates, watermelon, tomatoes, green tea, goji berries, red grapes, and pink grapefruit are rich in antioxidants that fight prostate disease. Have the recommended five servings of fruits and veggies a day.
- Cruciferous vegetables contain compounds that play an important role in protecting the prostate. so even though you may not like the smell and sight of it, eat broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cabbage, radishes, and turnips because they’re good for you!
- Red meat, junk food, and processed foods contain unwanted saturated fats that raise the risk of prostate and heart disease.
- If you want to eat meat, try soy instead. It’s touted to be one of the most prostate-friendly food items. Soy nuggets and chunks and tofu can be substituted for meat.
- And seafood such as oysters and crab are packed with zinc, a mineral essential for a healthy prostate. Fatty fish like salmon, tuna, and mackerel are full of omega-3 fatty acids delay prostate infections.
- Essential fatty acids are also found in olive and peanut oil, avocados, flaxseed, coconuts, and all kinds of nuts such as walnuts, almonds, pine nuts, and Brazil nuts.
- Beta Sitosterol is a plant extract that reduces the bathroom trips caused by a growing prostate. It’s the chief ingredient in Super Beta Prostate, meant specifically for optimum prostate health. Men who suffer from prostate issues have written Super Beta Prostate Supplement reviews about how this dietary supplement has contributed to overall wellbeing by improving urinary flow and alleviating age-related discomfort.
- Drink plenty of water. Fresh unsweetened fruit juices are a healthy alternative. Water flushes out the toxins from the body and hydrates the body. You can limit your fluid intake a couple of hours before bedtime to reduce bathroom trips. Avoid soda, caffeine, and sugary beverages.
So you’ve seen how tweaking your dietary habits can tremendously improve prostate health. And it’s not very difficult either – have a fistful of nuts or a salad with low-fat dressing instead of a bag of chips and soda for snacks. Add chopped vegetables to whatever you’re cooking to increase your vegetable intake. Pay attention to prostate health before it’s too late. Educate yourself on the dangers of prostate health disorders and take necessary steps to modify your eating habits and contribute to prostate health.