Every year, nearly a third of all men over the age of 60, are diagnosed with some kind of prostate problem. Yet, a majority of men continue to remain clueless about this tiny gland, the functions it carries out in the body, and the steps you can take to ensure it stays healthy. So here’s presenting some quick prostate facts followed by some health tips every man should ideally follow, especially if he’s over the age of 50 or has a close relative who suffers from a prostate disorder.
Facts about the Prostate Gland
- The prostate is a walnut-sized gland found just below the bladder, encircling the neck of the urethra. It produces a fluid that nourishes the sperm and makes up a part of the seminal fluid.
- In older men, the prostate may swell in size and expand considerably. If it grows too big, it pushes against the bladder and urethra, resulting in weak urinary flow. Men may also feel an intense and frequent urge to urinate because of a compressed bladder. These urinary flow troubles can be uncomfortable and be a cause of embarrassment.
- A feeble urine stream, straining while urinating, and getting up frequently at night to go to the bathroom are impending signs of a swollen prostate.
Tips to Take Care of the Prostate
- Eat a wholesome diet that consists of lots of fresh fruits and vegetables, zinc, selenium, and omega-3 fatty acids. Make tomatoes, garlic, oily fish such as salmon and mackerel, olive oil, avocados, walnuts, and almonds a part of your daily meals. Cut back on processed foods and red meat.
- Moderate physical activity if you wish to remain healthy and keep your prostate in good shape. Exercise also builds greater resistance against disease and helps control weight by shedding unwanted pounds.
- Drink plenty of water throughout the day. It flushes out the toxins, keeps the system clean and hydrated. But avoid drinking water and other fluids a couple of hours before bedtime to reduce your nightly bathroom trips.
- Avoid drinking excess caffeine. Caffeine acts as a bladder irritant and can actually worsen your urinary troubles. Alcoholic and carbonated drinks should also be avoided.
- If your urinary flow problems are keeping you up through the night, try Super Beta Prostate. This supplement contains a plant ester that has anti-inflammatory properties. It reduces urinary tract troubles by binding to the prostate gland and stopping further swelling. Find and read a few Super Beta Prostate reviews online to better understand how this product has helped scores of men successfully deal with prostate woes without any side effects.
Maintaining a healthy weight, eating a nutritious diet, and keeping oneself physically active have tremendous benefits for overall health. It’s never too late to begin changing your ways and tweaking your habits to adopt a new but smart way of life. At the same time, visit your doctor if you’re over 50 for a prostate screening and discuss how you can effectively control your health issues and not let them upset your quality of life.